Thursday, July 24, 2014

Summer Proof Makeup.

Summer proof makeup (choirs sing).  We ALL struggle with having our makeup last all day.  I'll be the first to raise my hand.  With my job, I'm driving in the car for 8 hours in middle Georgia heat and humidity.  My car's A/C is not enough to keep my makeup nice and fresh.  And in the middle of summer no one wants to cake on more makeup.  Less is more in the summer! How cute are those freckles shining through? (But always wear your SPF, not too many freckles... :-)) So, over time I've come up with some tips and tricks that have helped save the humid, hot, makeup melting struggle. 



1. Exfoliate.  
I do this step about 3 times a week.  I usually use a small grit scrub at the beginning of my week, and then an exfoliating toner throughout my week.  This helps keep that dead skin away so that your makeup adheres better.  It also helps your skin to have a smooth canvas--you'll notice a difference in how smooth your makeup goes on.  My top picks: Facial Radiance Polish by First Aid Beauty and Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Toner.

2. Moisturize or Prime.
This is your most important step.  For me, a moisturizer in the summer is hard to find.  I have normal to dry skin so I need something lightweight but hydrating at the same time.  I love Ole Henriksen's Sheer Transformation Moisturizer because it is lightweight and makes my skin feel so smooth.  It has AHA's in it also, which provide gentle exfoliation over time.  It's also oil-free--another plus for summer time!
For something even lighter, I go for one of my SPF's and use them as a moisturizer.  My two favorites are Clarins UV Plus Multi Protection or Pur-Lisse Pur Protect SPF 30 Daily Moisturizer.
Oily skin girls-Stick to a primer with SPF-Smashbox makes amazing ones with all different purposes.

3. Wait or BB it up.
After prepping your face with a moisturizer, I suggest waiting about 10 minutes before applying your makeup. I always find when I apply it right on top it usually just blends in with the moisturizer and slides around a bit more.  When the moisturizer has a chance to absorb it adheres better!  I use this 10 minutes to do my hair or put my work clothes on for the day, etc.  Don't have an extra 10 minutes in the morning? Skip the moisturizer and find a good BB cream or tinted moisturizer that does it all-prime, protect, hydrate, and cover. BAM. Done. My top picks: Bobbi Brown BB Cream SPF 35 and NARS Radiant Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 35.

4. Setting Spray (Yes before makeup, or after if you apply BB cream).
Yep, I'm saying it.  Spray your face with a makeup setting spray BEFORE you apply your makeup.  I know this seems excessive, but I'm telling you... it's like super glue for your makeup, AND it works! My top picks: Urban Decay All-Nighter Make Up Setting Spray for normal skin and Urban Decay De-Slick Make Up Setting Spray for oily skin

5. Apply.
Put on that makeup, gorgeous. :-)

6. Powder.
Finely milled powders are the best powders! No powder compares to my Chanel Loose Powder, but there are some translucent powders I also love.  The Revlon Photo Ready Translucent Finisher and the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light are my favorites.  Both of these powders set your makeup and absorb oil throughout the day--viola!

Six steps??!! I know, I know.  You're probably thinking...ain't nobody got time for that.  I'm telling you, try it. :-) You won't regret it! 

xoxo, Molly 

No comments:

Post a Comment